Monday, February 4, 2008

What is artificial & what is not?

I know the title could be somewhat unrelated to the business implications of crowdsourcing and artificial intelligence, but I'm a person who likes to have those little ponderings from time to time as a form of mental, internal kind of joy. "Can a machine think?" It's an interesting question that is often quickly answered in negation without proper thiinking and analysis. Regardless of the answer, I think, a more critical point to the issue is: How can we tell? What if the machine CAN think, but we have no way of examining its own kind of thinking? A good answer I came across while looking up AI is the Loebner prize for Turing Test. Turing postulated that if machines can think, then the output of their thoughts should be indistinguishable from those of humans. And so, he suggested that examiners sit on different computers in a lab that are -unkowingly to them- either connected to AI "chat bots" or to human respondants. If an examiner "chats" with a machine and can't tell it's a machine, then Bingo .. that's intelligence; it's not artificial any more.

"What do you think? Can a machine think what a human can think? The answer, I think, if someone thinks what he saw is what a human would think, a machine can think, I think.
If what a machine thinks is not what a human would think, a machine can't think, I think."
I just invented an awkward AI tongue twister! Excuse my internal MOPs (Moments of Pondering) :-)

No comments: